FOR THE MEATLOAF:
- 2 cups finely diced yellow onion about 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1lb Pederson’s Farms 100% Grass-fed Organic 85/15 Ground Beef
- 1lb Pederson’s Farms All Natural 90/15 Ground Bison
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ pkg - 1 pkg Pederson’s Farms No Sugar Added Hickory Smoked Uncured Bacon avocado oil, for spraying
FOR THE SAUCE:
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp hot sauce, Siete Foods traditional hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Take a sheet pan and line it with parchment paper then place a cooling rack on top and spray with avocado oil. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and thyme and saute until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the tomato paste and coconut aminos. Set aside to let cool.
- Place ground beef, ground bison, almond flour, 2 beaten eggs, and plenty of salt and pepper (to taste) in a large bowl. Add in the onion mixture, and mix lightly with a fork. Don't mash the mixture or the meatloaf will be dense. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all of the "for the sauce" ingredients, stir to combine.
- On a prepared baking sheet, pour out meat mixture and shape into a rectangular loaf. Once the meatloaf is formed, arrange the bacon slices on the meatloaf, overlapping slightly and tucking the ends under the loaf to prevent curling.
- Spread ½ of the sauce over the top of the meatloaf. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and spread another ½ of the sauce over the top. Bake for another 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf reads 155°F.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Make thick slices to serve.
About the recipe creator, Lauren Kubik!
Hiiiii! My name is Lauren Kubik and I’m from Atlanta, Ga. I have a few obsessions in life; my friends and family, my labradoodle Anakin “Annie” Skywalker (she’s the best), and cooking food that tastes good and is good for you! Ever since I can remember I’ve had an affinity for the kitchen. Learning how to transform food into different dishes by using different spices and/or techniques fascinates me. I’ve learned from my Gram, my mom, my dad and myself the fundamentals of cooking and gained the confidence to adventure and explore different realms of the culinary world which have molded me into the cook I am. When asked “what’s your favorite food to cook?” My response is all food!