Whole 30 Compatible Shrimp and Grits
(Paleo, Keto, Whole30, Low Carb, Dairy Free, Gluten Free)
All the flavors and textures you love in traditional shrimp and grits, but grain-free and without the carbs! This easy recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make and is keto, paleo, Whole30 approved, and dairy free.
Shrimp and Bacon
- 1 lb wild-caught shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 tsp Kit's Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 6 oz Pederson’s Natural Farms bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into large florets
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp butter or ghee (sub coconut oil for strict dairy free)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (56g) almond flour
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk or cashew milk
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast* (optional)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Make grits. Place cauliflower florets in a large pot and cover with water. Place lid on top and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove lid and allow to cook until fork tender (about 8 minutes). You can proceed to steps 2 and 3 while the cauliflower is cooking to save time. Remove and allow to drain. Save about 1 cup of the hot liquid. Add cauliflower, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, and butter into pot and blend with an immersion blender using quick pulses**. You want to leave some texture to it so that it's not completely smooth. Add in coconut milk, almond flour, and nutritional yeast or cheese and quickly blend to combine. Thin to desired consistency with hot water from cooking the cauliflower (if you accidentally tossed it, just use hot water). If you want a thick texture like the photos, you won't add any of the liquid. Place the lid on the pot to keep the grits warm.
- Season shrimp. Pat shrimp dry and sprinkle both sides with cajun seasoning and sea salt.
- Cook bacon. Place bacon pieces in a large skillet over medium heat and cook until browned. Add shallot and cook for about 2 minutes or until they are translucent. Remove bacon and shallot to plate or bowl.
- Cook shrimp in bacon fat. Increase heat to medium-high. When the skillet is nice and hot, add shrimp, one by one to the pan, leaving plenty of space in-between. Cook in batches if necessary. Cook for about 1 minute per side for large shrimp. Adjust cook time based on size of shrimp. Shrimp are done when opaque throughout. Take care not to overcook them.
- Add in bacon, shallot, tomatoes, garlic, and lemon juice when the shrimp are almost done cooking (after about 30 seconds of cooking on the second side). Include any tomato juices and seeds from the cutting board. Reduce heat to medium and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Assemble bowls. Place grits in shallow bowls and top with shrimp and bacon mixture. Drizzle any remaining sauce over the tops.
- Garnish with green onion slices.
- Serve immediately.
*If you want a paleo and Whole30 version, you can use nutritional yeast to give the grits more of
a cheesy flavor. But it's totally optional and the recipe is great without it! If you are just wanting
a keto recipe, then feel free to add regular sharp cheddar cheese to the grits! YUM!
**You can also use a food processor for this step if you don't have an immersion blender.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes