Spicy Breakfast Casserole
5 red potatoes, shredded
3 tablespoons bacon fat or ghee
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup dairy free milk
1 pack Pederson’s Spicy Breakfast Sausage Links
1 sliced jalapeno (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add in the bacon fat and shredded potatoes. Flatten down and cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
3. Use a metal spatula to scrape up and turn the potatoes, then flatten again and let cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Repeat this process until all of the potatoes are tender with lots of crispy bits. Then turn off the heat, flatten the potatoes to the bottom of the pan and get ready to pour in the filling.
5. Whisk together 6 eggs and 1 cup of milk with 1 teaspoon salt. Cut up the sausage links and add them to the egg. Pour over the hash browns and spread out.
6. Top with jalapenos and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into it.