Whole30 Italian Meatballs
From one of our Whole30 Prep Party hostesses:
“Welcome! Thank you for joining our May Whole30 Meal Prep Party. Today we are making Hashbrown Casserole, Italian Meatballs with Veggie Noodles, Chipotle Chicken Salad, Bison Shepherd’s Pie, and Sausage & Peppers. If you don’t have our shopping list, you can find it here! Make sure to have enough “to-go” boxes handy to send your guests home with their Whole30 Meals! We’ve made and tested all of these recipes and each one of them will make at least 5 servings.”
- 1 package of Cece's Veggie Noodle Co. Organic Zucchini Spirals, prepared according to package instructions
- 1 lb Pederson’s Italian Ground Sausage
- 1 lb Nature’s Rancher Ground Beef
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp. cassava flour
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, for frying
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 2 large basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, crushed red pepper and season with a little salt and pepper. Saute until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and saute 1-2 more minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, parsley, basil, beef broth and a little more salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce reaches a boil, reduce it to a slight simmer and let cook.
- Meanwhile, cook the meatballs (method below) and once the meatballs are browned, add them to the sauce (with the excess oil from the frying pan or baking sheet for extra flavor) and simmer, uncovered for 15-20 minutes with the meatballs in the sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the meatball ingredients EXCEPT for the olive oil. Using your hands, mix the meat until it is well combined.
- Scoop out 2 tbsp. of meat and roll into meatballs. Set aside on parchment paper and continue to roll meatballs until all are done.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Set meatballs in the skillet (you may need to do this in 2 batches depending on the size of your skillet, don’t overcrowd the pan) and fry meatballs on 2 sides until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. The meatballs don’t have to be cooked through, they will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Add browned meatballs to the sauce and let simmer until fully cooked through, another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve meatballs & sauce over Organic Zucchini Spirals.
You can bake the meatballs on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 20 minutes at 375 degrees F. They should be almost, but not completely cooked through. Add meatballs to the sauce (and any fat in the baking sheet) and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until cooked through and tender.