Sausage and Potatoes Au Gratin
- 2 packages Pederson·s Natural Farms Italian Ground Sausage 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 lbs russet potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ tsp. nutmeg
- 3 cups heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until browned.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, then toss to coat evenly.
- Layer the potatoes and sausage into a large baking dish. Pour the cream over the potatoes. Use just enough to where you can press down on the top layer, and the top potato slices disappear under the cream.
- Put in the oven, and bake for about 11/2 hours (larger batches will take longer). Every 20 minutes or so, open the oven, and, with the back of a large spoon, break the crust the cream will form, and turn over any of the top sausage pieces that may be beginning to brown. For the final 20-30 minutes, leave everything untouched to form a golden top. Cream should be nearly all broken down and absorbed with just a bit of creamy, buttery-ness between the potato slices.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool a bit before serving. It will retain an intense heat for at least 10-15 minutes.
Pedersons Natural Farms